Abellio UK and ScotRail have joined forces to support the Community Rail Awards 2018, which will be held in Scotland for the first time since they began in 2005. The annual awards ceremony will be held at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Glasgow on Thursday 4 October 2018.
The awards celebrate the fantastic work of station adopters, community groups and volunteers in engaging communities and ensuring they can get the most from their railways and stations. They are run by the Association of Community Rail Partnerships (ACoRP), which is dedicated to supporting community-based groups and partnerships that connect local communities with their railway.
Today’s announcement follows on from ScotRail’s annual Station Adopter’s Volunteers Day held in Glasgow last week, which brought together 150 volunteers across Scotland to celebrate the work that they do.
The ScotRail Adopt a Station programme encourages local people to get involved in improving their local station.
Stations play an important role in communities and are often the first thing people see when they arrive in a town. More than 275 ScotRail stations across the country are now part of the programme, which has gone from strength to strength since its launch in 2005.
Abellio UK Managing Director Dominic Booth said:
“Abellio and ScotRail are delighted to see the Community Rail Awards coming to Scotland for the first time. We are a long-standing supporter of community rail, so it’s great to have this opportunity to convey our thanks and gratitude to the volunteers who give up their time to make our rail network one of the best in the world. Supporting our local communities and their projects is incredibly important, as we look to deliver progress and prosperity across Scotland.
ACoRP Chief Executive, Jools Townsend said:
“Many people aren’t aware of community rail, but it involves thousands of volunteers, and hundreds of groups, in Scotland and across Britain, striving to make a difference. Their vital work helps to make rail travel more accessible and user-friendly, promotes sustainable travel and tourism, and encourages people to take pride in their area and heritage. The inspiring entries we receive each year for the Community Rail Awards show the impact this work has on communities and people’s lives. The Awards are our flagship event, recognising the hard work and passion so many people put in to community rail. We’re excited to be taking the event to Scotland this year with Abellio and ScotRail’s support.”
Nikki Ralston, Communications Manager
Tel: 07584 556 832
NOTES TO EDITORS
- Entry is FREE and is an online process, to be completed via http://bit.ly/CRA18enter
- Full details on award categories, entry criteria and instructions, and T&Cs are detailed online
- Entries to be submitted by Monday 18 June 2018,
- All submissions must be for projects that reached completion between 20 June 2017 and 18 June 2018, except Category 11 “It’s Your Station” – see website for details.
- Category winners will be awarded with a trophy and certificate. Not for profit organisations and groups will also receive a cash prize. All runners-up receive a certificate. Every shortlisted entry will receive an electronic shortlisting certificate.
Adopt a Station
More information on Abellio ScotRail ‘Adopt a Station’ scheme can be found https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/volunteering/adopt-station
Abellio UK is a transport operating group with offices in London and Glasgow. We have controlling interests in the ScotRail, West Midlands Railway, London Northwestern and Greater Anglia franchises, and run the Merseyrail concession in a 50:50 joint venture with Serco. We also run over eight per cent of London buses through Abellio London. We’re currently overseeing more than £3bn of investment into new trains, making us a true force for progress and prosperity in the UK. Our driving purpose is delivering easier journeys for our customers, every day. Abellio is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nederlandse Spoorwegen (Dutch Railways). For more information about Abellio visit www.abellio.com or find us on Twitter @abelliorailbus
Responsible for running over 2,500 trains per day, managing and maintaining over 350 stations, ScotRail is a team of more than 4,500 railway staff across Scotland.
The Association of Community Rail Partnerships is the membership body for community rail partnerships, representing over 80 community rail lines, and more than 1,300 local groups. ACoRP works to empower, support and champion the community rail movement, helping community rail partnerships and groups to:
- Enhance the railways’ contribution to local sustainable development and community wellbeing, including by maximising access to and use of the railways
- Ensure the community has a voice and plays a part in the development and improvement of our railways, so this meets community needs and aspirations and delivers maximum social benefit
- Communicate the development and importance of our railways to local communities, enhancing understanding and pride, and promoting rail as a key part of sustainable, healthy travel.